If you are a Veteran, a Servicemember, a dependent, or surviving spouse or child, you may qualify for VA education benefits, also called Chapter 35 benefits, including job training, mentorship, and cash assistance for tuition, housing, and supplies. These benefits are distributed through the GI Bill Program

Veterans and Servicemembers are eligible for the GI Bill Program. However, conditions are more specific to qualify as a dependent, spouse, or child. So, to qualify for the GI Bill Program as a dependent, spouse, or child of a Servicemember, one of the below must be true of the Servicemember:  

Get Help Paying for College With VA Education Benefits

  • Died on military duty after September 10, 2001, or
  • Is missing in action or was captured while on military duty, or
  • Was held by forced while in on military duty by a foreign government or power, or
  • Is in the hospital or getting treatment for a service-connected or total disability, and is going to be discharged from active-service because of the disability. 

To qualify as a dependent, spouse, or child of a Veteran, one of the below must be true of the Veteran: 

  • Is permanently or totally disabled due to a service-connected disability, or
  • Died while on active duty or because of a service-connected disability.

If you qualify for the GI Bill Program, you can get some, or even all of your college, graduate school, or education training paid for.

You can also use these benefits to: 

  • Pay for independent or distance learning
  • Pay for high-tech programs
  • Pay for correspondence training
  • Pay for tutorial assistance
  • Pay for test fees
  • Pay for non-college degree programs
  • Pay for Veteran Employment Through Technology Education Courses (VET TEC) program training
  • Pay for flight training
  • Pay for entrepreneurship training
  • Pay for work study
  • Pay for co-op training
  • Pay for on-the-job training
  • Pay for tuition assistance top-up

Two other programs that are offered by the VA for educational benefits are the Fry Scholarship and the DEA, or the Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program.

By Admin