Aside from the GI Bill, the Veterans Benefits Administration provides education benefits — also called Chapter 35 benefits — to the families of Servicemembers and Veterans through the Fry Scholarship, Dependents’ Education Assistance Program, and more. Continue reading below to learn more about these benefits.

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, also called the Fry Scholarship is a program for the children, spouses, or other dependents of Veterans who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. If you qualify for the Fry Scholarship, you can receive up to 36 months of benefits, including: 

Spouses and Children of Veterans: More Ways to Pay for College
Back 5 of 5

  • Cash assistance for tuition: With the Fry Scholarship, you can receive full in-state tuition costs at public schools and up to $22,805.34 per year for training at private or out-of-state schools.
  • Money for housing
  • Money for books and supplies

What’s more, you can potentially extend your Fry Scholarship or Post-9/11 GI Bill with the Edith Nourse Rogers Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) Scholarship.

If you are a Veteran or a dependent who is currently enrolled in an undergraduate STEM degree program, or if you have a STEM degree and you are working toward a teaching certification, you may qualify for the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Program.

The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program is for the children or spouses of a Veteran or Servicemember who has died, is captured or missing, or has disabilities. 

Through the DEA program, you will received monthly cash payments to help pay for: 

  • College or graduate degree programs,
  • Career-training certificate courses,
  • Educational and career counseling,
  • Apprenticeships, and
  • On-the-job training.

If you are enrolled in DEA benefits, there are ways to receive even more benefits.

If you need help overcoming or lessening the effects of a physical or mental disability, you may qualify for special restorative training.

Or, you may qualify for special vocational training if you need the additional assistance due to physical or mental disability. These extra training do not include medical psychiatric care, but will provide the assistance needed to help you achieve your educational goals.

Back 5 of 5

By Admin