After determining that you have unclaimed bankruptcy funds owed to you, there are some steps you must take to file a claim for the money. These steps will include filing paperwork and providing personal details and supporting documentation to the court. If you are handling a deceased loved one’s final affairs, you will also need to provide additional supporting documents to show your legal right to the funds. 

When filing a claim for unclaimed bankruptcy money, you can file yourself, or you can seek the help of a bankruptcy attorney. These attorneys can help you determine the specific documents you will need based on your situation. They may also file for you on your behalf.

Getting the Money: How to Claim Unclaimed Bankruptcy Funds
unclaimed bankruptcy money
Back 3 of 3

The claim form that you typically need to access and fill out in order to claim unclaimed bankruptcy funds can be found on the U.S. Courts website. 

In addition to the claim form, you typically need to provide supporting forms that prove you qualify to receive the unclaimed bankruptcy funds: 

  • U.S. citizens will need to complete Form AO 213: Vendor Information / TIN Certification
    • Citizens that do not have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) may complete Form W-9: Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website. 
  • Foreign claimants will need to complete a W-8 Certification Form, which can be obtained on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website. 

In addition to the above forms, you will also need to provide proof of your identity. This can be done with one or more of the following: 

  • A valid, state-issued driver’s license
  • A valid, state-issued identification card
  • A valid passport 

You must also provide your notarized signature. If your name has changed, you may be required to provide proof of your name change as well. 

If you are filing to claim unclaimed bankruptcy money on behalf of someone else, you must provide additional documentation that shows you are entitled to the funds you wish to claim. This may include documents that show a transfer of the claim or proof that you are the deceased claimant’s estate representative. 


Back 3 of 3

By Admin