Your car registration must be up to date. If you move residences, you will need to update your car registration as well as your driver’s license. Many states give residents a grace period after they move to update their registration. The grace period differs by area but is usually between 10 and 90 days.

If you moved within your state, you can complete a simple change of address form. You may be able to do this online, by mail, or in person, depending on your state. Likewise, your state may or may not send replacement documents with your new address.

Changing Car Registration Residence

You will need to request a replacement if you would like updated paperwork.

If you move to a new state, you will have to register your vehicle like it is the first time. 

This means you will need all the documents to register a new car, including:

  • Vehicle title to establish ownership
  • Lease agreement, if leasing the vehicle
  • Bill of sale to show the transfer of ownership
  • Emissions and safety certificates
  • Proof of auto insurance
  • Money for registration fees

Since states have different auto insurance requirements, you will need to update your policy or provider to meet your new state’s rules. To avoid a coverage lapse, obtain or change to a new policy before canceling the older one.

Your new state may have emissions testing requirements. You will need to have all testing requirements complete before submitting your registration application. If your vehicle fails, you may need to make repairs to register your vehicle.

By Admin