If you need help with your taxes and you are in the military or above age 50 then you can look towards MilTax Filing and the American Association for Retired Persons (AARP) to get free help and access to no-cost tax software. MilTax Filing is a military focused company that offers free online tax filing software and no-cost assistance with filing your taxes, in-person or online.

To qualify for MilTax, you must meet one of the following conditions: You are currently in the military; You are retired from the military; You are the dependent of a service member; You are the spouse of a service member.

Get Free Tax Help For Service Members & Seniors

MilTax is a valuable resource for active and retired military personnel because they understand tax situations that are specific to the military, such as deployment pay, combat pay, and survivor tax forgiveness.

The AARP has a tax initiative called Tax-Aide that is available to anyone that needs assistance with filing their taxes. 

However, if you are above age 50 or your income qualifies as low or medium, then you get priority in using the Tax-Aide program.

Tax-Aide volunteers go through IRS certifications, just like those who participate in VITA. To access Tax-Aide you can check the AARP’s official website to find an in-person location near you or you can use their FAQ database and help request form to seek online help.

Remember, taxes are due on April 15th. It is a good idea to start as soon as you can to make a plan to get no-cost tax assistance or file your taxes for free.

On the next slide, you will learn about other convenient ways to file your taxes using reliable software from reputable tax software companies.